View on YouTube
The Department of Health and Exercise Studies offers a 16 hour minor in Coaching Education designed to prepare students to assume coaching responsibilities with a sound theoretical and practical background. The minor provides students with a foundation of essential coaching skills; (a) the basic knowledge, understanding, and application of coaching philosophy, sport psychology, and effective teaching techniques; (b) the basic principles of human anatomy and physiology, kinesiology, and exercise science and the practical application to coaching; (c) injury prevention, risk management, and the treatment of sport-related injuries; (d) theories and techniques necessary to plan, organize, and implement sport programs; (e) and a demonstration of motor skills and strategies involved in coaching specific sports.
- The Coaching Education minor requires the completion of 16 credit hours
- Students will complete six credit hours from the three required courses
- Students will complete 10 credit hours from eleven elective courses
- All minor program courses must be taken for a letter grade
- Students must obtain a grade of “C-” or better in each of the required and elective courses
- Students must complete HESM 370, HESM 477, and six credits from the sport science electives category before taking HESM 301
- A minimum 10 credit hours must be completed at NC State (including the practicum)
Required Credits (6) from the core category
- HESM 301 Coaching Practicum (1)
- HESM 370 Foundations of Sport Coaching and Instruction (2)
- HESM 477 Coaching Concepts (3)
Elective Credits (6) from the sports science category
- HESM 381 Introduction to Athletic Training (3)
- HESM 476 Motor Learning (3)
- HESM 478 Exercise Physiology and Sports Science (3)
Elective Credits (4) from the sports coaching category
Select 2 courses from the following list:
- HESM 201 Coaching Baseball/Softball
- HESM 202 Coaching Basketball
- HESM 203 Coaching Football
- HESM 204 Coaching Golf
- HESM 205 Coaching Soccer
- HESM 207 Coaching Tennis
- HESM 209 Coaching Volleyball
- HESM 211 Coaching Strength Training And Conditioning
- Read over all information regarding the minor program.
- Contact the minor program coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Declare the minor through CODA in MyPack portal.
- Begin taking the required and/or elective courses in the minor program (HESM 301 excluded).
- Meet with the minor coordinator prior to enrolling in the minor practicum.