1309 Carmichael Gym
The Department of Health and Exercise Studies offers a 16 credit hour Sports Science Minor designed for students who desire a greater understanding of the physiological and biomechanical principles of exercise and fitness. The minor provides coursework in anatomy, physiology, nutrition, biomechanical principles, prevention and treatment of athletic injuries, exercise leadership, and health behavior.
- Completion of 16 – 17 credit hours
- A grade of “C-” or better required in each course.
- There are 5 required courses totaling 13-14 credit hours.
- The remaining courses (3 credit hours) consist of elective courses selected from a list of specific offerings.
- The minor will require a minimum of 10 credit hours taken at NC State University including HESM 303 Practicum.
Required Minor Courses (Minimum 13-14 Hours)
- BIO 240 Principles of Human Anatomy & Physiology (formerly BIO 212)
- HESM 286 Nutrition, Exercise, and Weight Control
- Alternate: NTR 301 Intro to Human Nutrition
- HESM 303 Sport Science Practicum (Course Syllabus)
- HESM 478 Exercise Physiology and Sports Science
- HESM 480 Principles of Exercise Programming
Elective Courses (Minimum 3 Hours)
- HESM 211 Coaching Strength Training And Conditioning
- HESM 285 Personal Health
- HESM 381 Introduction to Athletic Training
- BIO 245 Principles of Human Anatomy and Physiology (B): Endocrine, Cardiovascular, Respiratory and Renal Systems (formerly BIO 421/426)
- NTR 500 Principles of Human Nutrition
- NTR 555 Exercise Nutrition
- PRT 200 Leisure Behavior, Health and Wellness
- Read over all information regarding the minor program
- Contact the minor program coordinator
- Begin taking the required and/or elective courses in the minor program
- Complete and submit the Declare Minor Form to Registration And Records
- Meet with the minor coordinator prior to enrolling in the minor practicum
Recent Practicum Projects
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy
- Duke Center for Living
- NC State University Nutrition
- Wendell Murphy Football Center
- NC State Strength and Conditioning
- Raleigh Orthopedic Clinic
- Athletic Performance Center
- NC State Student Health Center Physical Therapy
- Holt Physical Therapy