In 1923, NC State’s Board of Trustees authorized the establishment of the Department of Physical Education. Since that time, the university has developed and expanded its unique physical education program under the leadership of ten department heads and numerous faculty. The name of the department was changed in May 2012 to reflect its current focus. Learn more about the historical timeline of our department.
- Interim Department Head: Tommy Holden
- Associate Department Head: Brenda Watson
- Assistant Department Heads: Sarah Ball and JD Lee
- 28 Faculty Members
- Minor Program Coordinators
- HES classes create communities that are filled with diverse students from different majors, minors and backgrounds, and provide collaborative, interactive experiences for students.
Programs and Curricula
- Minor Programs – Four programs (Coaching Education, Health, Outdoor Leadership and Sports Science)
- Take 8 at NC State is an initiative challenges students to take 8 credits of activity classes from our 100- and/or 200-level classes before graduation.
- Per the NC State General Education Program (GEP) requirement, undergraduate students must complete 2 credit hours in Health and Exercise Studies. One credit must be a Fitness and Wellness (HESF 100-level) course.
- The Isaac Frank Ormond, III Memorial Scholarship Fund is an academic scholarship awarded annually to a student enrolled in a HES minor.
- The Outdoors for All Award provides funding awarded annually to students enrolled in Outdoor Leadership courses.
- Nearly 30 faculty teach nearly 100 different course offerings via approximately 600 course sections annually
- Approximately 13,000 students enroll annually in on-campus and Distance Education (DE) sections
Follow the Department of Health and Exercise Studies and the HES Minors on social media.