The Department of Health and Exercise Studies offers a 15 credit hour health minor that is designed for undergraduate students wishing to pursue careers in health-related professions and for students wishing to gain in-depth knowledge in various contemporary health-related topics for their own personal development. The minor provides students with theories, concepts, and practical skills concerning health behavior and includes a practicum to apply theory to practice.
- A grade of “C-” or better required in each course.
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.0 in the minor.
- All Health Minor courses (16 credit hours) must be taken for a letter grade to complete the Health minor.
- The minor will require a minimum of ten (10) hours taken at North Carolina State University.
- HESM 285 Personal Health will be a prerequisite for HESM 375 Health Planning and Programming.
- HESM 285 Personal Health and HESM 375 Health Planning and Programming will be prerequisites for HESM 377 Methods of Health Promotion.
- A maximum of TWO (2) courses may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
- No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
|HESM 285||Personal Health|
|HESM 375||Health Planning and Programming|
|HESM 377||Methods of Health Promotion|
|HESM 300||Practicum in Health 1|
|Elective Courses 2||9|
& BIO 106
|Biology in the Modern World|
and Biology in the Modern World Laboratory
|or BIO 181||Introductory Biology: Ecology, Evolution, and Biodiversity|
|GN 301||Genetics in Human Affairs|
|MB 200||The Fourth Horseman: Plagues that Changed the World|
|NTR 301||Introduction to Human Nutrition|
|HESM 212||Alcohol, Drugs and Tobacco|
|HESM 213||Human Sexuality|
|WGS 330||Women and Health|
|HESM 284||Women’s Health Issues|
|HESM 286||Nutrition, Exercise and Weight Control|
|HESM 287||Stress Management|
|PRT 200||Health, Wellness and the Pursuit of Happiness|
|SOC 381||Sociology of Medicine|
|Total Hours: 16|
- Read over all information regarding the minor program.
- Contact the minor program coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Declare the minor through CODA in MyPack portal.
- Begin taking the required and/or elective courses in the minor program.
- Meet with the minor coordinator prior to enrolling in the minor practicum.
HES Minor Spotlight Video
Visit go.ncsu.edu/heshealthminor for additional information.