- John F. Miller 1924 – 1951
- Paul H. Derr 1951 – 1969
- Dr. Frederick R. Drews 1969 – 1981
- Dr. Richard A. Lauffer 1981 – 1989
- Dr. Angela Lumpkin 1989 – 1994
- Dr. Judy C. Peel 1996 – 1999
- Dr. March Krotee 2001 – 2007
- Dr. Thomas Roberts 2007 – 2014
- Dr. Tommy Holden 2014 – 2017
- Beth Wright Fath 2018 – present
Interim Department Heads
- Dr. William Toole
- William H. Sonner
- Lynn Berle
- Dr. Charles Patch
|1923 – 1936||
In 1923 the Department of Physical Education and Athletics was established under the authorization of the Board of Trustees. Athletics was included in the Department of Physical Education, thus all coaches were teaching faculty.
John F. Miller was named department head from 1923-51.
|1924||A two-year physical education requirement (PE 101 & 102) was implemented for graduation and taken during their freshmen & sophomore years. Also, all freshmen had to take a special one-day hygiene class before receiving credit for their physical education class. PE 120 (an array of classes to choose from) was an elective for juniors and seniors.|
Thompson Gymnasium was opened. Construction cost was $410,000.
|1933||A major in physical education was approved to prepare students to teach and coach in public schools. There was only one graduating class in 1937 because of the depression, which resulted in a consolidation of programs within the university system [NC State College, UNC-Chapel Hill and Women’s College, currently UNC- Greensboro].|
|1937||The Department of Physical Education and Athletics name was changed to Department of Physical Education and the Department of Athletics.|
|1946||Physical Education and Athletics became separate departments.|
|1951||Paul H. Derr was named department head from 1951-1969.|
|1954||The University moved from a quarter system to a semester system, which resulted in the four semester physical education requirement.|
|1958||The increasing student enrollment and lack of space in Thompson Hall required an adjustment in the formatting of classes. Physical Education classes were adjusted to two 8-week classes within a semester. The numeric grades from the two classes were averaged for a final letter grade.|
Physical Education Faculty 1960
The department established the Adult Fitness Program. It was the first extension program in the adult fitness area for middle aged men over 35 researching cardiovascular fitness. This program continues to serve the community.
Carmichael Gymnasium was opened. Construction cost was $2.7 million.
|1962||As the female enrollment increased, the physical education department provided women’s only classes|
|1969||Dr. Frederick R. Drews was named department head from 1969 – 1981.|
|1970||The first exercise physiologist, Dr. William P. Marley, was hired to develop a Health & Physical Fitness Course and train the staff to
teach it (1970-1975).
|1971||This Health & Physical Fitness course was implemented and named PE 100. A battery of tests was administered to each student so that they could be classified on one of four fitness level categories for class participation. PE 100 Health & Physical Fitness is the foundation course in the four-semester requirement for graduation.|
|1980||All classes became co-educational.|
|1981||Dr. Richard A. Lauffer was named department head from 1981 – 1989.|
The 8-week classes were changed to a semester format.
The addition to Carmichael Gymnasium allowed for an expansion in course offerings particularly in the areas of outdoor education and dance. Construction cost was $10 million.
Dr. Angela Lumpkin was named department head from 1989 – 1994.
The first minor developed was in Coaching Education.
First Distance Education course offered by the department was Aerobics and Body Conditioning, Spring 1993 by Peggy S. Domingue.
Dr. Judy C. Peel was named department head from 1996 – 1999. PE 100 Health & Physical Fitness morphed into courses with similar content but different modes of exercising (i.e., PE 101 Fitness and Wellness, PE 102 Fitness Walking, PE 103 Water Aerobics, PE 104 Swim Conditioning, PE 105 Aerobics and body conditioning, PE 106 Triathlon, PE 107 Run Conditioning, etc.).
The Department of Physical Education graduation requirement (GEP) was changed to a two-semester requirement with a minimum requirement of one hour from one of the 100-level courses.
The Department of Physical Education relocated to the Division of Student Affairs.
The Outdoor Leadership minors began offering classes.
The Fitness Leader minor began offering classes.
Dr. March Krotee was named department head from 2001-2007.
The Department of Physical Education was separated into three departments:
Carmichael Complex & Facilities Operations
The Health Minor began offerings classes.
The Fitness Leader Minor was re-named Fitness Leadership Minor.
Dr. Thomas Roberts was named department head from 2007–2014.
Carmichael Recreation Center was opened. Construction cost was $12 million.
The university updated the GEP title to “Physical Education / Healthy Living”.
The Fitness Leadership minor name was changed to Sports Science Minor. Campus Recreation changed name to University Recreation. Carmichael Complex & Facilities Operations merged with University Recreation.
The Emergency Medicine Program was initiated by Physical Education and Biology. The first class was offered (PEH/BIO 300; EMT-Basic).
Department of Physical Education changed name to Health and Exercise Studies (HES).
Course prefixes of PE, PEC, PEH, PEO, and PES changed to nine HES prefixes [HESA (aquatics), HESD (dance), HESE (emergency med), HESF (fitness), HESO (outdoor), HESM (minors), HESR (racquet), HESS (specialty), HEST (team)].
HES reaches 30 course offerings in the Delta Distance Education Program, the most diverse offering of any department at NC State.