Coaching Education Minor
The Department of Health and Exercise Studies offers a 16 hour minor in Coaching Education designed to prepare students to assume coaching responsibilities with a sound theoretical and practical background. The minor provides students with a foundation of essential coaching skills; (a) the basic knowledge, understanding, and application of coaching philosophy, sport psychology, and effective teaching techniques; (b) the basic principles of human anatomy and physiology, kinesiology, and exercise science and the practical application to coaching; (c) injury prevention, risk management, and the treatment of sport-related injuries; (d) theories and techniques necessary to plan, organize, and implement sport programs; (e) and a demonstration of motor skills and strategies involved in coaching specific sports.
- The Coaching Education minor requires the completion of 16 credit hours.
- Students will complete six credit hours from the three required courses.
- Students will complete 10 credit hours from eleven elective courses.
- All minor program courses must be taken for a letter grade.
- Students must obtain a grade of “C-” or better in each of the required and elective courses.
- Students must complete HESM 370 Foundations of Sport Coaching and Instruction, HESM 477 Coaching Concepts, and six credits from the sport science electives category before taking HESM 301 Coaching Practicum.
- A minimum 10 credit hours must be completed at NC State (including the practicum).
|HESM 301||Coaching Practicum||1|
|HESM 370||Foundations of Sport Coaching and Instruction||2|
|HESM 477||Coaching Concepts||3|
|Select six credits of the following:||6|
|HESM 381||Athletic Training|
|HESM 476||Motor Learning and Sport Performance|
|HESM 478||Exercise Physiology and Sports Science|
|Select four credits of the following:||4|
|HESM 201||Coaching Baseball/Softball|
|HESM 202||Coaching Basketball|
|HESM 203||Coaching Football|
|HESM 204||Coaching Golf|
|HESM 205||Coaching Soccer|
|HESM 207||Coaching Tennis|
|HESM 209||Coaching Volleyball|
|HESM 211||Strength Training and Conditioning|
|Total Hours: 16|
- Read over all information regarding the minor program.
- Contact the minor program coordinator (email@example.com).
- Declare the minor through CODA in MyPack portal.
- Begin taking the required and/or elective courses in the minor program (HESM 301 excluded).
- Meet with the minor coordinator prior to enrolling in the minor practicum.
HES Minor Spotlight Video
Visit go.ncsu.edu/hescoachingeducationminor for additional information.