Sports Science Minor
The Department of Health and Exercise Studies offers a 16 credit hour sports science minor designed for students who desire a greater understanding of the physiological and biomechanical principles of exercise and fitness. The minor provides coursework in anatomy, physiology, nutrition, biomechanical principles, prevention and treatment of athletic injuries, exercise leadership, and health behavior.
- Completion of 16 – 17 credit hours
- A grade of “C-” or better required in each course.
- There are five required courses totaling 13-14 credit hours.
- The remaining elective courses (3 credit hours) consist of selections from a list of specific offerings.
- The minor will require that a minimum of 10 credit hours be taken at NC State University which includes the practicum.
- Students are required to complete HESM 280 Responding to Emergencies or its equivalent, prior to entering HESM 303 Sports Science Practicum.
|HESM 480||Principles of Exercise Programming (PEF)||3|
|HESM 286||Nutrition, Exercise and Weight Control (PPEH)||2|
|or NTR 301||Introduction to Human Nutrition|
|HESM 303||Sports Science Practicum (PES)||1|
|HESM 478||Exercise Physiology and Sports Science (PEC)||3|
|BIO 240||Principles of Human Anatomy & Physiology (A): Nervous, Skeletal, Muscular, & Digestive Systems|
Prerequisites: BIO 181 or CH 101; BIO 183
|Select three credit hours of the following:||3|
|HESM 211||Strength Training and Conditioning (PEC)|
|HESM 214||Foundations in Outdoor Leadership and Adventure Education (PES)|
|HESM 285||Personal Health (PEH)|
|HESM 381||Athletic Training (PEC)|
|BIO 245||Principles of Human Anatomy & Physiology (B): Endocrine, Cardiovascular, Respiratory & Renal Systems|
|NTR 500||Principles of Human Nutrition|
|NTR 555||Exercise Nutrition|
|PRT 200||Health, Wellness and the Pursuit of Happiness|
|Total Hours: 16|
- Read over all information regarding the minor program.
- Contact the minor program coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Declare the minor through CODA in MyPack portal.
- Begin taking the required and/or elective courses in the minor program.
- Meet with the minor coordinator prior to enrolling in the minor practicum.
HES Minor Spotlight Video
Visit go.ncsu.edu/hessportsscienceminor for additional information.