View on YouTube
The Department of Health and Exercise Studies offers a 16 credit hour minor in Outdoor Leadership that is designed for undergraduate students desiring to pursue careers as outdoor leaders of adventure-based programs or for those who wish to enhance their personal development and enjoyment. Students will develop a foundation of essential leadership skills and experience through course work focusing on outdoor skills and leadership training. Students will also have an opportunity to apply theory to practice through a practicum.
- This minor requires the completion of 16 credit hours
- There are five (5) required courses totaling eleven (11) credit hours
- Students will choose five (5) elective courses
- Students must obtain a grade of “C-” or better in each of the required and elective courses
- A minimum of 10 credit hours must be completed at NCSU including the practicum
Required Minor Courses (Minimum 11 Hours)
- HESM 216 Backcountry Instruction Methodology
- HESM 280 Responding to Emergencies
- HESM 302 Practicum Experience in Outdoor Programs
- HESM/PRTM 214 Introduction to Adventure Education
- HESM/PRTM 215 Principles and Practices of Outdoor Leadership
Elective Courses (Minimum 5 Courses)
- HESA 223 Lifeguard Training
- HESA 226 Skin and Scuba Diving I
- HESA 227 Skin & Scuba Diving II
- HESO 253 Orienteering
- HESO 255 Basic Canoeing
- HESO 257 Backpacking
- HESO 258 Basic Rock Climbing
- HESO 259 Intermediate Rock Climbing
- HESO 262 Introduction to Whitewater Canoeing
- HESO 263 Whitewater Kayaking
- HESO 276 Whitewater Rafting
- HESO 277 Mountain Biking
- HESO 278 Fly-Fishing
- HESO 281 Introduction to Challenge Course Programming
- HESO 283 Mountaineering
- HESO 284 Sea Kayaking
- Read over all information regarding the minor program.
- Contact the minor program coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Declare the minor through CODA in MyPack portal.
- Begin taking the required and/or elective courses in the minor program.
- Meet with the minor coordinator prior to enrolling in the minor practicum.